[standards-jig] RE: JEP-0080 Geographical Location Information

Austin Tate a.tate at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 18:50:40 UTC 2003

At 09:51 AM 05/06/2003 -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>The way I usually talk about this, presence is one aspect of your identity
>that changes frequently enough that people want to subscribe to it.
>
>Location is another aspect, but there may be different subscriber lists,
>different access controls, etc.
>
>We still owe an updated version of the JEP that deprecates the presence
>approach, and pushes pub/sub as the default.

Thanks Joe.  We consider all these different attributes of the object
(agent, person or object)... some are more dynamic than others, some are
always static and can never change.  This is a continuum.  It would be good
if dynamic attribute/status changing was a general concept in Jabber
exchanges... presence and location then being specially defined aspects of
these with agreed syntax.

This very general abstract model allows for quite intelligent processing of
these incoming changes as alterations in "state" or constraints" related to
the objects, agents or people.  This has quite profound (very positive)
implications for the ease of use of semantic web services that can involve
intelligent collaboration between agents and services over Jabber.

Austin