[standards-jig] Comments on JEP-85: Chat State Notifications

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Fri Jun 6 01:39:13 UTC 2003

On Thursday, Jun 5, 2003, at 18:59 US/Eastern, Dave Smith wrote:

> Julian,
>
> Perhaps you can elaborate a bit on what you would cleanup and how?

Sure. Rather than including the x:event with each message to request
that certain events be sent back, we could at this point require
clients to do an iq:disco to see if x:event is supported. For the time
being we would allow x:event to be included with messages, but we could
set an expiration on it--there's no reason this backwards compatibility
will really harm us, other than having some extra bytes in messages for
a while.. but client authors should be asked to move away from using it.

Also, I'd like to see the type= attribute included on <message>
elements for the events, just to be clearer on where the event is
directed.

I'm sure there are other things too, but that's a good start, I think..

Julian