[standards-jig] message formatting (XHTML IM)

Dave Smith dizzyd at jabber.org
Wed Jun 18 21:00:30 UTC 2003

On this thread of standardizing on XHTML...

If we're only interested in the most basic of markup (bold, italics, etc.)
perhaps we should simply consider standardizing on a convention such as
Textile (http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/index.html). Similar in
scope to the widely used "/me" convention, we could just embed the markup
directly in the message body, since it's still "human-friendly".

It's a low barrier to entry for client writers (if you support emoticons,
you've already got the infrastructure to support this) and adds a lot of
value, imho.

D.