[standards-jig] message formatting (XHTML IM)

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu Jun 19 00:40:22 UTC 2003

> If we're only interested in the most basic of markup (bold, italics, etc.)
> perhaps we should simply consider standardizing on a convention such as
> Textile (http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/index.html). Similar in
> scope to the widely used "/me" convention, we could just embed the markup
> directly in the message body, since it's still "human-friendly".

Its very Wiki-like. TikiText is another example of this:

  http://mt-plugins.org/local/tikitext.php

I agree with pgm though, that XHTML is more XML-friendly. That said, it
is heavier and isn't easily human-readable. Also, I would guess that in
order to implement XHTML properly, they have to present a simplified
HTML-editor-style interface to the user? Wouldn't this just make things
more complex, since client authors have to write more code, and users
have to take their hands off the keyboard to do more interesting things?

(I don't know - I'm not a client dev, nor a power IM user - maybe its
easier than I think).

Perhaps it could be possible to intersperse XHTML markup with this
simplified markup? (although that would make the parsing harder).

Maybe XHTML could just be reserved for richer content (eg embedded
images and such - not that I want to encourage it).

Just thoughts ..

Rob.