[standards-jig] message formatting (XHTML IM)

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Thu Jun 19 03:33:46 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003, at 11:49 US/Eastern, Peter Saint-Andre
wrote:

> I'd like to move forward soon on XHTML IM (JEP-0071). Have any client
> developers started implementing this, even as a proof of concept? If
> so,
> what are your conclusions? If not, why not? I'm going to tweak the JEP
> over the next week or so and publish a new version, which I trust will
> be ready for a Last Call, so feedback is requested. Please discuss on
> standards-jig at jabber.org or poke me offlist (I'm cc'ing JDEV just to
> keep people there in the loop).

"An earlier proposal labelled this subset XHTML Basic. However, that
label is misleading, since the W3C defines an official XHTML subset
called XHTML Basic [2], and that subset (developed mainly for dedicated
XHTML clients on small-screen devices) includes much more than is
necessary for formatted messaging within Jabber."

If you're referring to my proposal, then I believe you misunderstood my
intent. My intent was to use a subset of the XHTML Basic proposal that
the W3C had already started when I wrote my proposal. I broke down the
important parts of XHTML Basic and stated which parts clients should
implement, must implement, may implement, and probably shouldn't
implement. My proposal was not to call it "XHTML Basic" :)

Julian