[standards-jig] JEP-071 extended for Presence

Peter Ronez prnz404 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 04:16:54 UTC 2003

Hi all,

My understanding is that there is currently no way to do XHTML mark-up for away
messages broadcasted using 'presence' element. Since it seems to be an
increasing trend among IM users to compose and read (lengthy) away messages, it
would only make sense the the 'status' element would be analogous to the 'body'
element for Jabber messages. I'm not sure if it takes a lot of convincing for
this feature, but most away messages that I've seen in AIM usually use a fair
amount of mark-up.

Are there some good reasons for limiting the XHTML extension as proposed by
JEP-071 to only the 'message' element?