[standards-jig] JEP-071 extended for Presence

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Jun 19 08:12:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:16:54PM -0700, Peter Ronez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My understanding is that there is currently no way to do XHTML mark-up for away
> messages broadcasted using 'presence' element. Since it seems to be an
> increasing trend among IM users to compose and read (lengthy) away messages, it
> would only make sense the the 'status' element would be analogous to the 'body'
> element for Jabber messages. I'm not sure if it takes a lot of convincing for
> this feature, but most away messages that I've seen in AIM usually use a fair
> amount of mark-up.
>
> Are there some good reasons for limiting the XHTML extension as proposed by
> JEP-071 to only the 'message' element?

Yes, a message is directed to one person, presence to everyone on your roster
which could run in the hundreds. If you'd really want to implement essays
as away messages (possible rich text), then I would go with pubsub to implement
this.

Ralphm

PS. Aren't you people getting tired of me screaming pubsub every time?