[standards-jig] JEP-071 extended for Presence

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jun 19 15:38:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:12:33AM +0200, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:16:54PM -0700, Peter Ronez wrote:
> > Are there some good reasons for limiting the XHTML extension as proposed by
> > JEP-071 to only the 'message' element?
>
> Yes, a message is directed to one person, presence to everyone on your roster
> which could run in the hundreds. If you'd really want to implement essays
> as away messages (possible rich text), then I would go with pubsub to implement
> this.

Why not provide a URL or pubsub address in the status element? I have
over 1000 people in my roster. I don't think they all need or want to
receive a large essay from me about why I'm logging off. But sending
them to a URL or pubsub node enables them to read my essay if they
really want to (their clients could even retrieve it automatically).

Jabber Software Foundation