[standards-jig] message formatting (XHTML IM)

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Thu Jun 19 20:03:40 UTC 2003

Hello, Dave!

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:00:30 -0600 (MDT), you said:

 DS> On this thread of standardizing on XHTML...
 DS> If we're only interested in the most basic of markup (bold, italics, etc.)
 DS> perhaps we should simply consider standardizing on a convention such as
 DS> Textile (http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/index.html). Similar in
 DS> scope to the widely used "/me" convention, we could just embed the markup
 DS> directly in the message body, since it's still "human-friendly".

 DS> It's a low barrier to entry for client writers (if you support emoticons,
 DS> you've already got the infrastructure to support this) and adds a lot of
 DS> value, imho.

Yes, such formating is widely and successfully used in Wiki pages, it is easy
to write for human and to display for client, unlike XHTML.  I have only plans
to implement XHTML displaying in Tkabber.  Adding of XHTML editor is really not
very easy task.  So it would be great if someone will write JEP about such text
formating.