[standards-jig] message formatting (XHTML IM)

Nathan Walp faceprint at faceprint.com
Thu Jun 19 22:35:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:05:27PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Next question: Are there any changes people would like to see in
> JEP-0071? I found a few nits over breakfast the other day, and I know
> the schema needs fixing. Do client developers think the range of
> element and attribute support is too broad, too narrow, just right?
> properties? Your friendly neighborhood protocol geek would like to know.

I wouldn't mind seeing <hr /> added to the list, but it's not make or
break.  I do however, have a problem with this line:

Any other elements and attributes defined in XHTML 1.0 MUST NOT be
generated or supported by a compliant implementation of XHTML IM.

I think maybe they SHOULD NOT be generated, but what about people who
write later JEPs for MathML et all?  Also, are we really going to
mandate what they're allowed to support?  I've always liked the "be
conservative in what you generate, liberal in what you accept" matra,
myself.

Also, can we put up for discussion how XHTML-IM relates to
groupchat/MUC?

My $0.02

Nathan

Nathan Walp             || faceprint at faceprint.com
GPG Fingerprint:        ||   http://faceprint.com/
5509 6EF3 928B 2363 9B2B  DA17 3E46 2CDC 492D DB7E