[standards-jig] JEP-071 extended for Presence

Peter Ronez prnz404 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 02:40:27 UTC 2003

> Why not provide a URL or pubsub address in the status element? I have
> over 1000 people in my roster. I don't think they all need or want to
> receive a large essay from me about why I'm logging off. But sending
> them to a URL or pubsub node enables them to read my essay if they
> really want to (their clients could even retrieve it automatically).
>
> Peter

I think I did myself a big disfavor when I initially said that the XHTML
extending for presence would allow people to post lengthy away messages similar
to what's currently being done on AIM. The length of the message and the
mark-up are two orthogonal issues. If the argument is that we shouldn't have
XHTML in presence b/c it would bloat presence, well then that really doesn't
hold b/c people could still post really long plain text away messages.

Also, the PubSub proposal could really complicate life for client and transport
implementors who want to pass and receive XHTML messages to buddies on other IM
systems.

I get the feeling that a lot of people on this list are not in favor of XHTML
away messages, and probably think that the current state of away messaging in
Jabber is adequate. That may be, but I think as more people from other IM
system migrate over, they'll miss that feature.

There was a great NYTimes article about the emerging culture of away messaging
a couple of months ago. Unfortunately it's not free anymore:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/technology/circuits/20away.html