[standards-jig] message formatting (XHTML IM)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Fri Jun 20 09:22:24 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 06:06:11PM -0700, Matt Jankowski wrote:
> Is the goal here to provide a unified way to format text, or to couple
> some meaning w/ the textual data?

I think this could be used for both.

> For styling/display only, I think everything could be done w/ only the
> 7 CSS properties, and could apply them to whatever text it was wrapping.

I am writting a console Jabber client. Most text terminals cannot
display bold text or italics, but they are able to show emphasis in many
different ways. And what about speach synthetizers? Shouldn't Jabber be
useable for people with disabilities?

> If it's to couple semantic meaning to the text being moved, why not allow
> all of XHTML?  Perhaps a subset that MUST be supported, but I don't see
> why to exlude things that people might find a use for.  Like 'title'
> attributes on the 'a' element, for example.

I thought about this too, but I have doubts. This could be very usable
(for example to prepare jogger entries) but it whould be a big
temptation to support full XHTML including such evil things as
<script/>. It would also encourage client authors do enable different
tricks for "beautifull formatting" which require quite complete XHTML
support for the text to be readable at all.

For full XHTML support you can always use:

Instead of:

Greets,
        Jacek