[standards-jig] JEP84 User Avatars - Colors]

J8nk junk at u812.net
Fri Jun 20 16:02:40 UTC 2003

I really don't see the don't point of jep84 if it doesn't include more
info on the avatar look. The image has no specific size anyways,
standard displaying implementation rules have to be defined here too in
order for this jep to be used the same way by different vendors.

Saying this is a different issue IS the right thing to say, but
eventuelly, if at all, developers would start a thread discussing some
html features for the avatar, then they'd come up with decissions like
there need to be more then 1 image in case we use html etc. etc.
This will lead to nowhere. U812 currently uses the vcard with unofficial
extra elements (<FOREGROUND>00a200</FOREGROUND> & <BACKGROUND...). I
don't mean to lose functionality for a year or two until there is a
standard for this. We can always depracate a feature when a new improved
one appears, but losing functionallity doesn't help the jabber platform
compete with propietary platforms. More to that, I believe avatar colors
are not enough and a more explicit jep about that should be created.
Starting to use fore/back colors today would push in that direction and
maybe will help people develop more expectation from jabber in the
future (a good thing I believe ;P)

Take for example the minimum speed attribute in the gnutella search msg,
in the past the developers found it useful, and today since it's not
useful anymore it is being replaced with other stuff... The idea is less
backward compatibility, more changes in the present.

eyal