[standards-jig] JEP84 User Avatars - Colors]

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Fri Jun 20 17:22:48 UTC 2003

On Friday, Jun 20, 2003, at 12:02 US/Eastern, J8nk wrote:

> I really don't see the don't point of jep84 if it doesn't include more
> info on the avatar look. The image has no specific size anyways,
> standard displaying implementation rules have to be defined here too
> in order for this jep to be used the same way by different vendors.

Oh, and by the way, *that's the point*. We're not specifying how
avatars must be used by different vendors. There's no reason to. Maybe
someone will come up with even better ideas on how to use avatars, or
maybe they have certain restrictions on their platform/device of choice
for implementation and can come up with other creative ways of using or
displaying the avatars.

There's no specific sizes because lots of people complained about
having specific sizes, so there are /recommended/ sizes if you want
your avatar to display half decently. It can probably be assumed that
most implementations will scale to one of the recommended sizes. If
they don't and they make most avatars look ugly, that's their fault.

Julian