[standards-jig] JEP-071 extended for Presence

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jun 23 16:29:58 UTC 2003

Well, right now you can put an away message in the <status/> element
when you go unavailable (and hmm, there are no length limits on that),
so that seems to fit the bill. And you could always put an <xhtml/>
element in there if you really want to. JEP-0071 was written mainly for
messages, but I don't think there is anything in the JEP that forbids
inclusion of XHTML in presence.

Peter

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 07:40:27PM -0700, Peter Ronez wrote:

> > Why not provide a URL or pubsub address in the status element? I have
> > over 1000 people in my roster. I don't think they all need or want to
> > receive a large essay from me about why I'm logging off. But sending
> > them to a URL or pubsub node enables them to read my essay if they
> > really want to (their clients could even retrieve it automatically).
> >
> > Peter
>
> I think I did myself a big disfavor when I initially said that the XHTML
> extending for presence would allow people to post lengthy away messages similar
> to what's currently being done on AIM. The length of the message and the
> mark-up are two orthogonal issues. If the argument is that we shouldn't have
> XHTML in presence b/c it would bloat presence, well then that really doesn't
> hold b/c people could still post really long plain text away messages.
>
> Also, the PubSub proposal could really complicate life for client and transport
> implementors who want to pass and receive XHTML messages to buddies on other IM
> systems.
>
> I get the feeling that a lot of people on this list are not in favor of XHTML
> away messages, and probably think that the current state of away messaging in
> Jabber is adequate. That may be, but I think as more people from other IM
> system migrate over, they'll miss that feature.
>
> There was a great NYTimes article about the emerging culture of away messaging
> a couple of months ago. Unfortunately it's not free anymore:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/technology/circuits/20away.html

Jabber Software Foundation