[standards-jig] UPDATED: Message Delivery Semantics (JEP-0079)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.COM
Thu Jun 26 16:08:56 UTC 2003

I believe that JEP-0079 already does provide this additional
information.  When an "alert","error", or "notify" action, the reply
coming back specifies the <rule/> that triggered it.  In the case of
"error", this is doubly repeated (until XMPP is standard and widely
supported).

In the case of gateways (such as e-mail or SMS), you are already
translating between Jabber/XMPP and that other system.  So you can quite
easily translate this:

<message from='example.com'
to='sender%somewhere.com at email-gateway.example.com' type='error'>
  <semantics xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/msg-delivery'
status='error'>
    <rule action='error' condition='expire-in' value='100'/>
  </semantics>
  <error code='500' type='cancel'>
    <internal-server-error xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
    <condition-error xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/msg-delivery'>
      <rule action='error' condition='expire-in' value='100'/>
    </condition>
  </error>
</message>

to this:

FROM: notification at jabber.somewhere.com
TO:   sender at somewhere.com
SUBJECT:  FAILED Delivery Notification

The message sent to 'receiver%example.com at email-gateway.example.com'
failed to be delivered within 100 milliseconds.

If you can provide more details, including how you intend to handle
internationalization issues, I'm more than happy to consider and discuss
them.

-  LW

--

Matt "linuxwolf" Miller