[standards-jig] UPDATED: Message Delivery Semantics (JEP-0079)

Barry Latimer LatimerB at startcorp.com
Thu Jun 26 22:18:26 UTC 2003

Hi,

sorry didn't fully explain myself here. The functionality I was talking about was providing more information about delivery errors to Xmpp.

Using the gateway example

FROM: Sender at email.com
TO : Gateway at jabber.com
Subject: Delivery Failed Invalid Mailbox
[Message Desposition Headers]

Unable to delivery your message to 'user at email.com' as this mailbox does not exist.

Convert this into

<message from='email.com'
to='sender%somewhere.com at email-gateway.jabber.com' type='error'>
  <semantics xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/msg-delivery'
status='error'>
    <rule action='error' condition='match-resource' value='exact'/>
  </semantics>
  <error code='500' type='cancel'>
    <internal-server-error xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
    <condition-error xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/msg-delivery'>
      <rule action='error' condition='match-resource' value='exact'/>
    </condition>
  </error>
</message>

Now the email message is not only telling me that the message delivery failed but why it failed, what I was commenting on is that I could not see in your proposal anywhere to add a reason for a delivery failure. Which can be useful to report back to the user so that they can decide if they should resend the message or not.

So in essence converting from Xmpp to Email/Sms not a problem just when converting back from Email/Sms we are losing information.

The second point about the 'human' readable text included in the body is to allow for clients who do not implement JEP-0079 to still display a useful message. The internationalisation issues I would handle the same as email who ever generated the message decides upon a language, because this is provide as a courtesy to clients who do not understand JEP-0079

Barry