[standards-jig] JEP-13 (Flexible Offline Message Retrieval)

Craig Kaes CKaes at jabber.com
Fri Jun 27 18:38:31 UTC 2003

What you're describing sounds to me like, "I've had my jabber server down
for a while, I'm now bringing it back up, and I'd like to be flooded by all
offline messages for everybody on my server for all messages that were sent
during that downtime."  You probably want to do this on startup?  It sounds
like useful functionality.

It also sounds well outside of the scope of JEP-13 which was designed to
provide pop3-like semantics for offline message retrieval for individual
users.  One of the reasons for this behavior is to *avoid* message floods,
though only on a per-user basis.  We've already had a show of hands and
there are plenty of folks who will implement this.  I suspect that either 1)
fewer people will be willing to implement what you're proposing or 2) that
the intersection between those who will implement what you propose and what
JEP 13 is currently about is going to be small.

I prefer a simple and straight-to-the-point JEP over a US Senate Bill where
everybody lumps stuff on as it goes through the process until it is
unpalatable at the other side.  I'd recommend you write up a separate JEP
for what you are proposing.

--C