[standards-jig] JEP-13 (Flexible Offline Message Retrieval)

Russell Davis rkdavis at burninghorse.com
Fri Jun 27 19:01:10 UTC 2003

why is it outside the scope? i use my store and forward mail handler
exactly like that using pop3 -- when my server comes back online i have
a script that goes out and collects all the emails for all my users from
the S&F server.

> It also sounds well outside of the scope of JEP-13 which was designed to
> provide pop3-like semantics for offline message retrieval for individual
> users.  One of the reasons for this behavior is to *avoid* message floods,
> though only on a per-user basis.

hmmmm a senate bill? i don't think that is quite what would happen. it
is a simple extension to the jep probably covered in about 2 paragraphs
if that. and most of it being in an implentation section talking about
security and auth stuff. this really isn't a seperate jep type thing at
all.

> I prefer a simple and straight-to-the-point JEP over a US Senate Bill where
> everybody lumps stuff on as it goes through the process until it is
> unpalatable at the other side.  I'd recommend you write up a separate JEP
> for what you are proposing.

bst rgrds
Russell