[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Sat Jun 28 21:23:07 UTC 2003

Rachel Blackman <rcb at ceruleanstudios.com> wrote on 28-6-2003 20:47:55:

>While I agree that it's really not great that we're blocked on this
>and are still lacking a file transfer protocol more functional than
>Yahoo's (which is basically the same as iq:oob), I think we ask for
>more problems than we solve if we allow multiple versions of the same
>solution.  If we have multiple methods of file transfer, I either have
>to implement /all/ of them, or deal with whining from my users as to
>why they can send to /some/ users, but not others, and those users
>claim /they/ have file transfer too, and...
>
>/me goes to find a bottle of Excedrin.  Headaches, anyone? :)

I guess it's a simple case of what's worse then. The whining we've had
the past (and coming?) years for not having decent filetransfer
support, or a period of whining because some clients don't support the
eventual final protocol yet. (wich you'll have anyway, wether we have 1
standard or 2).

I suppose for client-writers the first solution is still bareable, but
for people trying to convert others to Jabber, and people trying to
promote Jabber in corporate enviroments I can imagine it's been a lot
worse.

Besides that, advancing a decent proposal to DRAFT more quickly won't
necisarly lead the anarchy of protocols people are describing here. If
there's a decent proposal that's well implemented and doesn't give any
trouble, the second proposal would have to show some major advantages
should it convince client-authors to reimplement this functionality.
All we do now is compete on theoretical assumptions (like you said,
experimental JEPs are not at all attractive to implement, let alone
ship to your clients) for many many hours, and almost never on
implementation and large scale testing of that implementation. It's
also worth considering that protocols that are theoretical compromises
aren't automatically the best (hello SIMPLE!).

I think it's very unfortunate that when you have a good idea, and you
write a good JEP for it, that's technically OK, you can't go ahead with
it just because someone thinks your idea or solution should be more
like theirs. Add to that there's hardly a way of objectivly finding out
wich idea *is* the best, by just discussing it or letting a council
look at it (esp. this type of council).

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo