[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Sat Jun 28 23:07:54 UTC 2003

Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> You normally don't do that kind of testing with your entire userbase.
> There's the well knowns process of ALPHAs and BETAs that a lot of
> opensource  (and closedsource too) projects use for these things. Most
> jabberclients do too, as far as I know.
This means that your development cycle will have to coincide with the
development of a number of (experimental) JEPs :\ So you'll just retract
a feature that has been through beta testing because it still has an
'experimental' status? I you do; that's great :D But I'm afraid that's
not how it works in most case :? Could be wrong ofcourse.

All I wanted to say is that IMO you have to be very careful with testing
implementations in this way. As soon as a feature is implemented in a
public version or Trillian or in a version of Psi (and/or other 'big'
clients) then we're just stuck with that JEP for years to come :D

Bart