[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Nathan Walp faceprint at think.faceprint.com
Sun Jun 29 14:25:10 UTC 2003

I'm not even gonna quote a specific reply here, it's been said about
twelve times, so just imagine I'm replying to someone who is comparing
JEPs to the linux kernel ;-)

If I implement a new VM for the kernel (for example), and it SUCKS, has
some horribly major flaw, the WORST that it can do is hurt the machine
that is running it.  That is all.

If I write a new JEP, it goes to Draft, gets implemented, and a huge
flaw is discovered, the WORST it can do is hurt the entire XMPP/Jabber
community, because now that implementation is in the wild.

Does everyone see the difference?  The spaghetti-wall method of working
(keep throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks) just can't
work for Jabber, because we all have to live with whatever decisions are
made for a long time.  Linus et. all could care less about the VM in the
2.0 series of kernels.

OK, I'm finished.  My $0.02 US and such ;-)

Nathan