[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Sun Jun 29 19:09:40 UTC 2003

Hey all,

I agree with others' concerns about certain standards not maturing as
quickly as one might like, although I'm definitely of the opinion that
working through and defining the standards through JSF consensus is the
right approach (so we're basically on track already).

Perhaps one way to address the problem would be to set certain time
limits/goals on each JEP. For example, a JEP would be proposed on a
certain date and then would have between 1 and 3 months to be developed
(with feedback from the community) before moving to the next stage. The
exact amount of time would be set by the JEP author. Then there would be
a last call process with a certain length of time, an approval process,
etc, etc. Having dates and deadlines is often a good way to get people
motivated. :) This would even help to guide community members in where
their feedback might be most effective -- for example, there could be a
time-based list of JEP's in development, in last call, etc. The one
thing we want to avoid is JEP's that languish with no process for months
and months. At the moment we're archiving them in an ad-hoc basis, but
having timelines for each JEP would make that a more formal process and
would hopefully avert more abandoned JEP's.

Regards,
Matt