[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Paul Curtis pcurtis at terrapin.com
Sun Jun 29 21:23:16 UTC 2003

Justin Karneges wrote:

> True, there quite a few JEPs setting around and doing nothing.  However, what
> about the JEPs that aren't abandoned, but instead are endlessly discussed?
> That's what this thread was originally about, anyway.

Actually, the original thread was about getting a set of JEPs covering
file transfer in place. My intention was not to start a far-reaching
discussion of how JEPs are handled, but rather a wake up call on a
single feature that is the single most requested item.

I guess I need to be a bit more forceful .... we need to have file
transfer in as many Jabber clients as quickly as possible. And they all
need to use the same protocols to do it. To acheive that end, I made
specific recommendations for the forwarding of four JEPs (one is already
draft) to the Council for last call.

The four JEPs (47, 65, 95, & 96) have all the functionality we need to
begin with to have file transfer between two clients, either with
streams or by using XMPP packets as the transport. Let's start there.
Get all the clients we can to support these. THEN, let's take up other
more advanced streams and use cases.

And, finally, the discussions about how JEPs are handled is extremely
important to the community. This needs to be worked out, and the process
  made to meet the needs of the community at large, without sacrificing
the roles that all of the members play.

paul