[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Sun Jun 29 23:01:45 UTC 2003

On Sunday 29 June 2003 02:23 pm, Paul Curtis wrote:
> Justin Karneges wrote:
> > True, there quite a few JEPs setting around and doing nothing.  However,
> > what about the JEPs that aren't abandoned, but instead are endlessly
> > discussed? That's what this thread was originally about, anyway.
>
> Actually, the original thread was about getting a set of JEPs covering
> file transfer in place. My intention was not to start a far-reaching
> discussion of how JEPs are handled, but rather a wake up call on a
> single feature that is the single most requested item.
>
> I guess I need to be a bit more forceful .... we need to have file
> transfer in as many Jabber clients as quickly as possible. And they all
> need to use the same protocols to do it. To acheive that end, I made
> specific recommendations for the forwarding of four JEPs (one is already
> draft) to the Council for last call.
>
> The four JEPs (47, 65, 95, & 96) have all the functionality we need to

Fine, but at the same time, I could recommend JEPs 47, 65, 41, & 52. :)

JEP-0041 Reliable Entity Link
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0041.html

JEP-0052 File Transfer
http://www.affinix.com/~justin/jep-filexfer.html

So you've got your recommendation, and I've got mine.  What do we do now?  I
think there's a good reason this thread went into a debate about JEP
adoption, because it is the root of the whole issue.

-Justin