[standards-jig] JIDs, UTF8, Unicode

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Wed Mar 5 11:24:57 UTC 2003

Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> Hello
>
> On the Jabber.org conference server i see often non conforming chars in the
> JID.
>
> jid="わいど@conference.jabber.org"
> jid="まりるーむ@conference.jabber.org"
>
> According to the docs following ASCII chars are invalid for JIDs
>
> -Any ASCII character lett than 33 (including space,32)
> -Any char in the set [:@'"]
> -control chars
> -Whitespace (\r\n\)

The two JIDs you mentioned don't contain any of the forbitten characters
... you have just forgotten to convert them from UTF-8 to your local
charset:

> jid="わいど@conference.jabber.org"
> jid="まりるーむ@conference.jabber.org"

I don't see why they should be invalid, there is no restruction that
they are only allowed to contain ASCII characters.

Tot kijk
     Matthias

--
Fon: +49-(0)70 0770 07770       http://matthias.wimmer.name/