[standards-jig] NEW: Jabber Object Access Protocol (JEP-0075)

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu Mar 6 21:27:39 UTC 2003

> I haven't read this JEP in detail yet (just edited it in console mode at
> home last night), but one nit is that it's not good XML to have multiple
> root elements for the namespace (<describe/>, <read/>, etc.). I'd prefer
> to see one root element (e.g., <joap/>) with child elements or an action
> attribute (action='read' etc.).

Why is it not good XML? A namespace is just a qualifier - there's no
real root element.

Implementation-wise, its the same (actually, its slightly easier - no
need to handle the case where you get a <joap/> element with no action
or subelement). And it uses slightly less bandwidth.

We've had this out once before, I remember:

  http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2002-March/000422.html

I learnt alot since then, though. IMO, the only thing JOAP is doing is
breaking a Jabber convention; a convention thatI personally don't care
about.

2c.

Rob.