[standards-jig] NEW: Jabber Object Access Protocol (JEP-0075)

evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Mar 7 10:21:28 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:55:41AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> I haven't read this JEP in detail yet (just edited it in console mode at
> home last night), but one nit is that it's not good XML to have multiple
> root elements for the namespace (<describe/>, <read/>, etc.). I'd prefer
> to see one root element (e.g., <joap/>) with child elements or an action
> attribute (action='read' etc.).

Well, I have a couple of comments on that. First of all, yes, it's fairly
common practice to have only one document element type in a DTD or schema.
But there are some notable exceptions -- DocBook comes immediately to mind
-- and I don't think it's necessarily bad XML.

Second, I don't really think of the parts of an IQ as being the root element
of anything. They seem more like leaves that decorate the existing XMPP tree.

I like the current way that the verbs work, but I wouldn't really balk too
hard if there were a cosmetic change like adding a single root "joap"
thingy, or an attribute for "action". I think it'd be slightly less
readable, but not unreasonably so.

~ESP