[standards-jig] VOIP revisited

Bret A Mogilefsky mogul-jig at gelatinous.com
Fri Mar 14 00:07:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 16:02, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Those interested in the topic might also find this of interest:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hildebrand-xmpp-sdpng-00.txt

I for one find it of *great* interest!  I didn't know about SDPng until
reading that.  It appears to be just what the doctor ordered... SDP
reformulated as XML.

See http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/mmusic/56/agenda.html for the SDPng
Update, which contains the latest version... Note
the appendix describing how to use SDPng in SIP, SAP, MEGACO,
etc.  The TINS description appears to parallel these appendices for
XMPP... I like in particular that a subsequent INVITE on an existing OOB
session is the signal for a renegotiation of the connection parameters,
which is more elegant that the signaling done in SIP.

(NAT traversal is something else... I'm new to all this so I'm assuming
there's an existing separate JEP that covers discovery of a NAT
traversal path... Is that the case?)

If TINS proceeds to standardization, there'll be little reason for
people at my company to look to SIP for voice, which would be an
enormous help in getting us completely focused on Jabber/XMPP.  What are
TINS' dependencies; SDPng and... what else?  (It looks like SDPng has a
ways to go though: http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/mmusic/draft-status.html)

Who else is waiting for some sort of VoIP progress?  Please don't be
shy, I really want to see this one get rolling...

Thanks,
Bret
--
Bret A Mogilefsky <mogul-jig at gelatinous.com>