[standards-jig] About outgoing packets.

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Mar 14 23:12:09 UTC 2003

Edwin Zacharias wrote:
> I hope this is the appropriate list to ask this
> question.
>
> I understand why Jabber's stream protocol is used for
> packets sent to you, but why is it used for sending
> packets out?  Since you know the host for a user, such
> as hamlet at denmark.gov, why not just connect directly
> to denmark.gov and send it there?
>
> The only thing I can think of is that it provides
> anonymity for the end user?  Are there any other
> reasons?

Yes, so it keeps clients simple, and it allows all packets from "serverA" to
"serverB" to be multiplexed over a single TCP socket. Otherwise, a single host
would have to have N sockets for it's own clients, plus M sockets for all other
clients, where M could potentially be huge. The current way, Q is the # of
sockets for other servers, which will at least be several orders of magnitude
smaller than M.

SMTP usually works this way... I send all messages to my local SMTP host which
is responsible for contacting the other host, queueing, retrying, etc..

pgm.