[standards-jig] JEP-0060 PubSub: We need privacy lists in PubSub

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Mar 21 22:53:30 UTC 2003

Bob Wyman wrote:
> Given that multiple publishers can publish to a single node and given
> that some receivers of messages may be only interested in messages from
> some subset of those who are authorized to publish to a node, it would
> be desirable to provide a mechanism for establishing "privacy lists" in
> PubSub that can be used to filter messages based on sender.
[other stuff munched]

I think this is really more of a generalized "filtering" problem which could
apply to all aspects of jabber. I'm thinking this mainly because event
notification in jabber pub/sub is done with message stanzas. So any kind of
filtering done to filter events based on publisher would apply to other aspects
of message filtering in jabber. Perhaps you'd like to come up with a proposal
(JEP) as a strawman and have us discuss it??

[later] After looking at the JEP list, I'm reminded of rob's trio of JEPs based
around packet filtering. Perhaps your thoughts could be addressed to these JEPs:

JEP 62 - Packet Filtering: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0062.html
JEP 63 - Basic Filtering Operations: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0063.html
JEP 64 - XPath Filtering: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0064.html

pgm.