Rationale and Design Decisions in JEPs (was Re: [standards-jig] UPDATED: IBB (JEP-0047))

evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Mar 25 16:23:22 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:03:39PM -0800, Justin Karneges wrote:

> We (temas, matthew miller, and I) discussed the issue of sequencing packets
> recently. [...]  I chose to use 16-bit in the draft to
> eliminate the argument.  The ability to restart the sequence prevents
> overflow.

So, this is totally off-topic, but I'm wondering if there's a good way to
incorporate this kind of rationale or design decision into the JEP DTD.
Something like <rationale>...</rationale>, which could either be rendered in
a box, like:

  RATIONALE: I chose to use 16-bit in the draft ...

...or as a footnote, or even, and probably best, left out entirely in final
versions.

-ESP