[standards-jig] UPDATED: IBB (JEP-0047)

Peter G. Millard me at pgmillard.com
Wed Mar 26 04:38:06 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org>
> > According to temas, removing the 'acks' would speed up the data
exchange.
> > This is why a sequence number was added.  If we were acking everything,
then
> > we wouldn't need such a counter.
> XMPP Core (section 7.5.1) *requires* the ack:
>       An entity that receives an IQ request of type 'get' or 'set'
>       MUST reply with an IQ response of type 'result' or 'error'
>       (which response SHOULD preserve the 'id' attribute of the
>       request).
> Peter

According to the JEP, all of the data transfers are sent using the same ID,
and are all IQ-sets. I would argue, that the receiving entity responds with
an IQ-result when it receives the iq with the <close> element and after it's
received all of the sequenced packets. This makes more sense to me since all
of the individual iq-sets are just part of a larger "transaction".

I'd like to see that response added into the JEP and the semantics around
whether or not that stanza is a result or an error. Given the nature of
delivery in jabber, it's unlikely that the receiver would not recieve one of
the stanzas with data, but I suppose it's possible. There should be some
errors around this.

Nice progress on this simple JEP though.

pgm.