[standards-jig] UPDATED: IBB (JEP-0047)

Peter G. Millard me at pgmillard.com
Wed Mar 26 04:51:04 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Tijl Houtbeckers" <thoutbeckers at splendo.com>
> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote on 26-3-2003 0:53:20:
> >XMPP Core (section 7.5.1) *requires* the ack:
> >      An entity that receives an IQ request of type 'get' or 'set'
> >      MUST reply with an IQ response of type 'result' or 'error'
> >      (which response SHOULD preserve the 'id' attribute of the
> >      request).
> Exactly my concern.
> That doesn't mean you have to *wait* for it though before sending the
> next packet. Still I think if it is send it should be in the examples
> too. Though if you do *choose* to wait for the acks I think it will
> help you staying within your karma limits, as well as the receivers(!)
> karma limits.

We should never design protocol around current implementation limits. How
would I know if I'm even on a karma limited connection??? If you get karma'd
while trying to send an IBB, tough :) Connection/rate limiting has and
should always be left up to the implementation. Karma limits should be one
of the things that keeps people from using the IBB protocol to transfer
large chunks of information.