[standards-jig] vcard-temp

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Mar 27 16:03:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:40:05PM -0500, Julian Missig wrote:
> >>Part 6 notes how vCards could be represented in XML. I think that any
> >>effort to replace vcard-temp so should be based off this w3c note,
> >>because we at least know that some other people have considered
> >>representing vCards in this fashion. It certainly seems good enough
> >>for
> >>me.
> >
> >Well, I'm just a protocol geek, what do I care about requiring RDF? :)
> >I figured some implementers would scream about that...
>
> Er, Part 6 makes a note about how to represent vCard in XML *without*
> RDF. :)

Well, Part 6 is explictly out of scope and non-normative -- it's just a
little example.

What I think we need is a more extensible profiles protocol that enables
us to *include* vCard XML data but also *extend* it in new directions.
For example, right now vCard does not support Jabber IDs (sure, we hacked
the standard, but that's not legit), gender, and any number of other
data bits. Plus in Jabber we probably want a format that can describe
not just people but any kind of Jabber entity (groupchat room, gateway,
syndication service, etc.). Perhaps this would be an adjunct to Disco,
perhaps something else. But I don't think strict vCard gets us where we
wnat to go.

Jabber Software Foundation