[standards-jig] <query> Element

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Mar 31 13:15:59 UTC 2003

So, one of the comments about JOAP made so far (by Peter) is that
there's not a single root element of the namespace. There are six
things you can do in the JOAP namespace, and therefore six root
elements (which I called "verbs" for lack of a better term).

When I was developing the initial version of the standard, I hadn't
encountered a previous IQ namespace that didn't use <query> as the
"root" of the namespace. Looking over the rest of the JEPs, I'm seeing
that there aren't _any_. Everybody uses <query>, and some tools seem
to actually get confused if there isn't a <query> as the first element
child of an IQ.

So, for this reason, I'm going to add a new element, <query>, at the
etc. -- would be the first child of that base element.

I'm kind of sorry about this -- I really don't see the value of having
<query> everywhere, and I am reluctant to add it in just to appease
current software implementations. But I'm having a hard time working
around it.

Suggestions/comments?

~ESP

--