[standards-jig] <query> Element

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Mar 31 22:27:32 UTC 2003

> So, one of the comments about JOAP made so far (by Peter) is that
> there's not a single root element of the namespace. There are six
> things you can do in the JOAP namespace, and therefore six root
> elements (which I called "verbs" for lack of a better term).

I disagreed with this - there's nothing that says a "root" element is
required - it doesn't really make sense anyway, since a namespace is
just a qualifier for an element name.

> When I was developing the initial version of the standard, I hadn't
> encountered a previous IQ namespace that didn't use <query> as the
> "root" of the namespace. Looking over the rest of the JEPs, I'm seeing
> that there aren't _any_. Everybody uses <query>, and some tools seem
> to actually get confused if there isn't a <query> as the first element
> child of an IQ.

Those tools are broken. We shouldn't have to cater to them.

There is one commonly-used namespace that does not have <query> as its
first element - "vcard-temp" (JEP-0054) user <vCard> instead.

> So, for this reason, I'm going to add a new element, <query>, at the
> etc. -- would be the first child of that base element.
>
> I'm kind of sorry about this -- I really don't see the value of having
> <query> everywhere, and I am reluctant to add it in just to appease
> current software implementations. But I'm having a hard time working
> around it.

Its your choice, of course, but if it was me, I'd be anal and say that
its not necessary and that broken implementations should be fixed.
Besides, new implementations of JOAP are unlikely to be restricted in
this way.

Rob.