[standards-jig] JEP-0050 :: nodes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 1 14:57:35 UTC 2003

I have a question about nodes in JEP-0050.

Example 4 shows a disco result-set for items under the x-commands node.
The result-set shown is of the following form:

<iq type='result' from='responder'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'
         node='http://jabber.org/protocol/commands'>
    <item jid='responder'
          node='config'
          name='Configure Me!'/>
  </query>
</iq>

This is OK -- we have examples like this in JEP-0030 (e.g., Example 6).

Now JEP-0050 shows an example of querying this "sub-node" for further
information (JEP-0050, Example 5):

<iq type='get'
    from='requester'
    to='responder'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
         node='config'/>
</iq>

This is where I get confused, because there's no such example in
JEP-0030. How does responder know what node='config' is? Is it
guaranteed to be unique? Is this node name registered with the Jabber
Registrar? It's not explicitly "scoped" under the 'commands' node, so
we've seemingly switched out a sub-node for a top-level node. Call me
obsessive-compulsive, but this seems a bit odd.

Just wondering... :)

Jabber Software Foundation