[standards-jig] IBB Again

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Sat May 3 13:59:47 UTC 2003

Justin Karneges <justin-jdev at affinix.com> wrote on 3-5-2003 9:01:01:

>When I proposed JEP-0041 (REL) earlier this week, I was criticized for
>thinking too far ahead.  In particular, pgm noted that we should
>create protocol as needed, rather than try and make some perfect
>protocol that covers cases we don't care about yet.  Keep this in mind
>when answering the above.

And why *wouldn't* we need REL? I doubt there is a shortage of usecases
for it. For example it would solve the IBB discussion, use IQ based IBB
now (wether it comes out standards-track, informational or rejected)
and switch over to message based IBB when there are standards and
server implementations that make this possible.

The JEP currently reads:

"
Reliable Entity Link (or simply 'REL'), is a system for coordinating
reliable bytestreams between two Jabber entities. By 'reliable', we
mean that the bytestream transport handles all data delivery issues,
such that an application need not worry about them (a good example of
such a protocol would be TCP). "

If you'd drop the "reliable" parts in this, it could also be used for
the things Rachel just mentioned (webcam, voice, etc). Applications
will know wich protocols to advertise during the feature-negotiation
step, as well as wich one they prefer.

For example it will not advertise any irreliable UDP-like protocol for
filetransfers, and it will prefer something such as SOCKS5-Bytestreams
over IBB in most cases. For a webcam stream it would prefer an UDP-like
protocol, though it might prefer an OOB TCP-like protocol before going
IB in any case.

Like this I fail to see how REL could be something "too far ahead". It
sounds more like something we should have had for a while now :)

Maybe it could even be extended to dynamic switching between protocols
(it wouldn't be *that* hard), though that may be out of scope for the
JEP (it could be solved on the application level or through a different
JEP as well). In any case, REL will make this more easy and generic.

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo