AW: [standards-jig] JEP-0022 composing Events

Frank Gates fgates at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 18:45:30 UTC 2003

Ok, this reply is only 2 1/2 months later than the rest... i just saw it...
But does relate to Open Issues (6).

Question..  If a Composing Event is sent by the client (rf.2.4 of
jep-0022.html) but is not canceled, can the jabber server tell if the client
locked up, crashed or was otherwise closed or made unavailable?   One
possibility is to use a JINI-like Leasing protocol.   In this case a Composing
Event establishes a "lease" with the receiver for some amount of time (which
could be specified by the composing event or other mechanism)..   If the client
doesn't renew the lease in that time period the event would be automatically
canceled.

e.g.,

A.)
      <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
            <composing lease="2000"/>
            <id>message22</id>
          </x>

or perhaps

B.)
     <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
            <composing/>
            <lease time="2000"/>
            <id>message22</id>
          </x>

would establish a lease for 2000 ms.  Subsequent renewals would not require the
lease element or attribute.

e.g.,
renewal A.)
     <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
            <composing/>
            <id>message22</id>
          </x>

or,
renewal B.)
     <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
            <composing/>
            <renewal />                // if an explicit element is desired to
indicate a renewal
            <id>message22</id>
          </x>

So, if the lease is not renewed the receiving clients would assume the
composing event is canceled.   A composing event would then be canceled by
either explicit cancellation or by failure to renew the lease.  (Explicit
requests to cancel an event after it's lease has lapsed should be ignored.)  I
would assume that explicit cancellation would be the norm.

If the original Composing Event does not include a lease, then either a default
timeout could be implied for the lease period or otherwise the leasing protocol
not used.  This leasing mechanism could also be applied to other Jabber events
and protocols as appropriate.

While this is reminiscent of the MS patent, you would be drawing on other
public domain protocols (Sun Microsystems's JINI) as a reference for your
implementation.

By the way, this is my first response on this list.   Hope this isn't out of
line.

Thanks,

frank gates