[standards-jig] Avatars

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Mon May 5 21:59:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:39:10PM +0200, Sebastiaan Deckers wrote:
> There are many client implementations of JEP 8 out there.  It's almost 2
> years old, more than some of the active JEPs!
> Maybe it would be better to start a new JEP so that the old protocol is
> not "lost"?  Or maybe we need a JEP graveyard? ;-)

First of all, JEP 0008 has never been active. It went from experimental
to deferred back in october 2002. So, if client implementations exist,
they are also experimental.

> BTW, which issues should a pubsub avatar JEP solve? (seriously)

>From the JEP (section 5):

	It is acknowledged that sending avatar information within presence packets
	is less than desirable in many respects (e.g., in network traffic
	generated); however, there currently exists in Jabber no generic framework
	for addressing these shortcomings. Possible solutions on the horizon
	include live browsing and a pub/sub model, but these are still embryonic
	and experimental. Once something of that nature is accepted by the Council,
	the avatar spec will be modified to work within that framework rather than
	by attaching to presence.

Not everyone on your roster wants/needs/can handle the avatar information in
the presence stanza, and this is the network traffic argument.

Further, avatar information has nothing to do with user presence. You can go
offline and still have an avatar. Also, you can change your avatar when not
altering your presence.

Pub/sub is a natural fit for this kind of data. People who want your avatar
subscribe to it, and you publish it whenever you feel like changing it.
They get a notification, and possibly also the whole (encoded) image along
with it. Pub/Sub is a lot further along and implementation is extremely
easy. I've been doing experiments with moods and pubsub, and moods fall
in the same realm (apart from the binary data aspect). Works great!

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm