[standards-jig] IBB Again

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue May 6 11:14:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:56:06AM +0100, David 'TheRaven' Chisnall wrote:
> As a common denominator, almost all unreliable protocols (such as those
> based on RTP) are using UDP at the network layer, so surely all that is
> required is a mechanism for transporting UDP datagrams over the Jabber
> network?  This can be done simply by embedding each datagram, base 64
> encoded, in a message tag, and having the server drop those messages
> that karma settings mean would require excessive bandwidth.  What have I
> missed?

Jabber connection are made over TCP. And packets that are not dropped by
Jabber may be retransmitted at TCP level if some IP packets are dropped.
This may cause unacceptable delays. All advantages of using unreliable
protocols are lost when they are implemented over TCP, and many TCP
disadvantages are multiplied then.

Greets,
	Jacek