[standards-jig] Avatars

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue May 6 18:19:25 UTC 2003

(Off the subject of JEP process, here.)

So, this is a dumb question, but: it seems to me that avatars are
relatively persistent for a given user. It's unusual to change avatars
frequently -- not after figuring out what avatar you want to use, at
least.

Here's my point: I think that 'b***y icons' can easily be implemented
with the PHOTO field in vcard data. This is an existing,
well-implemented standard. If the data in the PHOTO field is the wrong
size, it can be scaled. If there are multiple PHOTO fields, the one
with the size closest to the avatar size can be used.

Sure, IWBNI when I change my avatar, that info goes out to the
world. But I think that's an edge case. Is it so N that it's worth a
whole new JEP? I think not.

In the case where a 'mood ring' is wanted ("I'm sad now. I'm happy
now. I'm cloyingly cutesy now"), I think that this could be done with
an judicious application of Icon Styles to the <status> field of
<presence>. Like this:

            <presence to="..." from="...">
               <status>I hurt my finger :'(</status>
            </presence>

Clients that render :'( as an image in text windows should also render
it as an image when showing presence status.

The upshot: I'd propose that, rather than making an application of pubsub for
avatars, a note be added to the vcard JEP to suggest using PHOTO for
b***y icons, and a note in Icon Styles (or somewhere else) for making
mood rings with <presence> and <status>.

~ESP

P.S. None of this matters to me, of course: my client is
console-based.

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us