[standards-jig] Avatars

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 7 18:27:03 UTC 2003

    DC> This does seem to make sense to me, since this is how I use
    DC> my avatar (it's a picture of a raven in flight, and has been
    DC> for ages.)  Some people, however, change their avatar
    DC> frequently depending on their mood.

What I was wondering is if this is the base case or some kind of edge
case. If it's the base case, then, by all means, let's have a
pubsub-based avatar JEP.

IIRC, the last time I used another IM system *cough* *cough*, the
avatar images were pulled -- I had to click on the avatar image to
download the newest one.

If it's just an edge case, which I think it is, it seems to me that
it'd be preferable for everyone to just start using the PHOTO in vcard
as the avatar image, and no further JEP process is necessary.

In other words, quick (and extremely simple!) implementation,
standardized now, without support for automatically pushed images,
rather than a long drawn-out process based on a much more complicated
pubsub thingy, with support for pushed images that may or may not be
particularly valuable.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou