[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu May 8 01:46:42 UTC 2003

Thomas Muldowney <temas at box5.net> wrote on 8-5-2003 3:43:10:

>The complaint against MNG during JEP-8 was that it did not have enough
>library support.  If people feel it is cross platform enough now, we'll
>add it, no problems here.

If you want really want to be crossplatform with this spec (thinking
beyond the desktop linux/win32/mac situation) I recommend:

- drop GIF (considering it has patent issues for opensource
applications anyway)

and make a recommendation (SHOULD):

- restrict PNG's to compression method 0 (deflate)
- restrict JPG to standard encoding (as opposed to progressive encoding)

As for animation, wether MNG or GIF or something else, I think it
should be a seperated from the static image. Maybe you could take this
further and have 1 image based on the rules above, and an alternative
one that can be any contentype, animated (MNG, Flash, SVG anyone?) or
not (EPS, PSD, whatever).

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo