[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Thu May 8 06:49:42 UTC 2003

> The complaint against MNG during JEP-8 was that it did not have enough
> library support.  If people feel it is cross platform enough now, we'll
> add it, no problems here.

I believe the C-library libmng is crossplatform (this is how Qt gets its MNG
support, which works on win32/x11/mac/zaurus).  libmng should cover most
C/C++ applications, but I'm not sure about other languages like Java ...

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 06:46 pm, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> - drop GIF (considering it has patent issues for opensource
> applications anyway)

I agree.  If adventurous clients wish to use GIF anyway (like I probably will
do with Psi), they can bite the patent bullet and do a GIF->PNG/MNG
conversion before publishing.  What do others think?

> - restrict PNG's to compression method 0 (deflate)
> - restrict JPG to standard encoding (as opposed to progressive encoding)

I'm not sure if we should go there.  Clients should not be required to do
image checking or reformatting (well, unless they wish to use an unsupported
image format).

> As for animation, wether MNG or GIF or something else, I think it
> should be a seperated from the static image.

I say that if MNG is acceptable for the JEP, then there should be no need to
have a separate 'animated' entry.

> one that can be any contentype, animated (MNG, Flash, SVG anyone?) or
> not (EPS, PSD, whatever).

If the client wishes to use any of these others, it should convert to one of
the supported formats before publishing.  This keeps our protocol simple.

-Justin