[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Thu May 8 10:05:04 UTC 2003

Hi,

I agree avatars through pub/sub is the way to go for usual IM/P usage.

If we want avatars in conference component based chat, then we still
need the JEP-0008 way, a digest in the <presence/> tag.

Entering a chat room a user submits the avatar digest along with the
joining <presence/>. All current and all future users will automatically
receive the digest. No need to disco all avatars of all users. That is
too much traffic anyway.

For usual IM/P <presence/>-subtag is bad and disco/pub/sub is good, but
for conference chat it is the other way round.

Conclusion: I would like to keep the <presence/>-subtag as an option.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG