[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu May 8 10:25:42 UTC 2003

> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 06:46 pm, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
>> - drop GIF (considering it has patent issues for opensource
>> applications anyway)
>
> I agree.  If adventurous clients wish to use GIF anyway (like I probably
> will  do with Psi), they can bite the patent bullet and do a GIF->PNG/MNG
> conversion before publishing.  What do others think?

To play devil's advocate...if you support GIF still, it should in theory be
possible to do something like extending the AIM transport to pull down AIM
buddy icons as Jabber avatars.  I realize the gateway transports are not a
high priority for design stuff, but there /is/ something to be said for it;
the more a transport supports of the legacy medium and translates into
Jabber, the easier it is to get general users onto Jabber without them
complaining about loss of functionality to legacy contacts.

Don't take this to be a strong argument in favor of keeping GIF, just a
sort of 'what if' circumstance being suggested. :)

>> - restrict PNG's to compression method 0 (deflate)
>> - restrict JPG to standard encoding (as opposed to progressive encoding)
>
> I'm not sure if we should go there.  Clients should not be required to do
> image checking or reformatting (well, unless they wish to use an
> unsupported  image format).

I disagree.  I'm not sure it's necessary to limit to these functions, but I
think clients have to do image checking /anyway/ (or possibly reformatting)
because of the MUST qualifier on the image dimensions (between 32 and 64 in
each direction) and image size (8k).  Why not keep them to sane minimums
for the format as well, since you already have to be doing the checking?

>> As for animation, wether MNG or GIF or something else, I think it
>> should be a seperated from the static image.
>
> I say that if MNG is acceptable for the JEP, then there should be no need
> to  have a separate 'animated' entry.

This, I agree wholeheartedly on.  Plus, if 'animated' stuff including Flash
were allowed, you just KNOW someone would put together a Flash avatar with
irritating noises.  And then we'd have people seeing red and foaming at the
mouth over it, and there'd be a bloody rampage, and it'd be generally
unpleasant. ;)

Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/