[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Thu May 8 10:43:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:05:04PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> I agree avatars through pub/sub is the way to go for usual IM/P usage.
>
> If we want avatars in conference component based chat, then we still
> need the JEP-0008 way, a digest in the <presence/> tag.

No. In the conferences attaching anything to <presence/> is even worse
then in regular IM. In usual IM/P your presence is broadcasted to people
in your roster - people you know and which probably know you. It is an
agreement between you and them what garbage you will send them.
In a conference room you will send your avatar info to people you don't
know anything about.

Greets,
	Jacek