[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Thu May 8 11:32:44 UTC 2003

> Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:05:04PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> > I agree avatars through pub/sub is the way to go for usual
> IM/P usage.
> >
> > If we want avatars in conference component based chat, then we still
> > need the JEP-0008 way, a digest in the <presence/> tag.
>
> No. In the conferences attaching anything to <presence/> is even worse
> then in regular IM. In usual IM/P your presence is
> broadcasted to people
> in your roster - people you know and which probably know you. It is an
> agreement between you and them what garbage you will send them.
> In a conference room you will send your avatar info to people
> you don't
> know anything about.

Yes, I am sending "garbage" to strangers in a conf room. Unless I do not
want to disclose my avatar. But I am talking about the case that I want
to send "garbage".

The concern is about this scenario:
- 100 users in a room
- 1 user joins and sends avatar digest in <presence/>
- conf component distributes the <presence/> tag.
- 100 users compare their digest with the new one and fetch the avatar,
if digest is old.

It would be a mess, if all users would start to disco any time 1 users
enters a room:
- 100 users disco the new user
- the new user discos 100 others

Only the <presence/>-subtag scales in this case. I would not want
(knowingly) to create a spec that does not scale. I am not talking pure
theory here. I have an application and I do not want to code it worse
because of a new JEP.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf